Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Power of Thanks (Interview Series #2)


It is immensely important to write a thank you note to your interviewers as soon as possible after each meeting. A thank you note can make you stand out among all the other candidates who did not write one. It also shows that you paid attention during your interview, care, and are committed to building a relationship with the interview team. However, writing the perfect thank you note can be challenging. Luckily, there are a few tips you can follow to get it right.

In your opening paragraph, be sure to thank the interviewer for taking the time to meet with you. This shows that you respect their time and understand that it is valuable. Express that you enjoyed the conversation and are excited about the opportunity to join the team.

If you are not a perfect fit for the role then you should address this in your next paragraph. Let the interviewer know that you recognize this but believe that you are up to the challenge and that your transferable skills make you well suited for the role.

Next, address the goals or culture of the company and talk about why you want to work there.

Lastly, thank the interviewers again for the opportunity. I personally suggest that you include a surprising hard sell to close your letter. For example, let the interview team know that you can be reached any time if they have additional questions or would like to offer you a second interview (although I would be a bad friend and coach if I didn't tell you that some people consider the hard sell a risky move).

Include a salutation such as "sincerely" or "kind regards" and following it with your name and contact information.

Tip: Avoid writing in a passive voice.

Need a customizable template to follow? Here you go!

Dear Interviewer's first name,

Thank you for meeting with me today to discuss the Position title position. I enjoyed our conversation and am excited about the opportunity to join the Company Name team.

I recognize that I do not have the traditional skillset experience that most of the other candidates have. However, I truly believe that I am up for the challenge. You mentioned that you need talent who is adjective 1, adjective 2, and adjective 3. My background in skillset 1 and skillset 2 is well suited for this.

I believe that the goals of Company name or department can be achieved and that fresh talent will expedite that process. I would be proud to work for a company that wants to company goal 1 and company goal 2. I look forward to becoming a part of that culture.

Again, thank you for considering me for this exciting opportunity. Please feel free to call me if you need additional information, have any questions, or would like to offer me a second interview! Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Your first and last name
Your phone number

No comments:

Post a Comment